Saturday, August 27, 2016

A Day in Salt Lake City

We stayed in a hotel out near the Salt Lake City airport. I really didn't feel like driving in downtown traffic and finding a place to park, so we took the hotel's free shuttle to the airport and then hopped on the TRAX light rail. It cost me $5 round trip for the TRAX ride, and Betty got to ride half price as a senior citizen. We were dropped off right at Temple Square.

We started off at the North Visitors Center watching a private screening of the "Legacy" movie. Because it was Saturday, we couldn't go inside the Mormon Temple because it was booked up with weddings. Here are pictures of the buildings and grounds of Temple Square. We did go in and take a tour of the Beehive House that was Brigham Young's office and residence. The landscaping throughout Temple Square was beautiful with flowers everywhere.

Salt Lake City Mormon Temple

Salt Lake City Mormon Tabernacle

Salt Lake City Mormon Conference Center

Salt Lake City Mormon Offices

Beehive House - Brigham Young's office and residence

Brigham Young's bed

beehive carving at the foot of the bannister 

After a nice lunch at the Lion House, Betty and I spent several hours in the Family History Library. While Betty researched the Molloy family history, I worked on the Wible family history. We each had a helper, but Betty got the one that was very knowledgable. I started off with an older gentleman who had to leave, and I then got a very young man. They could answer some of my questions, but the woman who was helping Betty was the best. In addition to answering all of my questions, she gave me a tip that got me back one more generation in the Wible family tree.

We also went to the Cathedral of the Madeleine, a very beautiful Roman Catholic Church just down the street from Mormon Temple.

Cathedral of the Madeleine in Salt Lake City

We had dinner at the Blue Lemon restaurant across from Temple Square before taking the light rail back to the airport to catch our hotel's shuttle. Note in the picture Betty took of me outside the restaurant that I am wearing long pants. I decided to dress up for my day of church visits.


Joe waiting in line at the Blue Lemon restaurant in Salt Lake City

No comments:

Post a Comment